Good afternoon to all,
Christmas has come early for Sippy Downs, with the $12.2 million fourth and final stage of the Sippy Downs Drive project completed a week ahead of schedule.
The upgrade delivers a safer experience for all road users, improves the traffic flow and makes navigating this essential transport corridor easier, especially during peak school drop-offs and pick-ups.
The project initially commenced construction in September 2018 and was completed during this week after the Alexander Street intersection signals were commissioned on Tuesday night, this is one week ahead of the forecasted completion.
There has been some great feedback about the improved travel times along Sippy Downs Drive and University Way and the local schools, University and businesses will also see benefits.
Sippy Downs Drive Stage 4 upgrade included:
- The duplication of traffic lanes in both directions along Sippy Downs Drive to enable four lanes of traffic (two each way)
- Changing the existing roundabout at University Way/Sippy Downs Drive to become a four-way signalised intersection
- Creating a new four-way signalised intersection at Sippy Downs Drive Service Road/Sippy Downs Drive/Alexander Street
- Upgrading the Sippy Downs Service Road to work with the new signalised intersection including the re-alignment of the centre and western exits and adjusting the eastern entry/exit to be a one-way entry and cul-de-sac
- Relocation of public utilities
- New street lighting
- Increasing the number and density of trees in the landscaped buffer between the Sippy Downs Service Road and Sippy Downs Drive (staged project).
In addition, Council has partnered with University of the Sunshine Coast students and the local community to create a stunning entry statement set to be constructed and unveiled in early 2020. The entry statement will be located at the corner of Sippy Downs Drive and University Way and will define the gateway to Sippy Downs and the town centre precinct.
To this end, I want to personally thank everyone for their patience over the years. Together we have seen the delivery of 4 lanes all the way from the Police station on Claymore road all the way through to Siena Catholic College and now the main entry into University Way.
It is important to note that whilst these upgrades have improved traffic in the area, the long term effectiveness of the project is being limited by the delivery of the Caloundra Road to Sunshine Motorway (CR2SM) upgrade. These works are quite obvious as you come out of University Way heading towards Tanawha or Brisbane.
In terms of greenery, the new trees and plants will grow in time and bring similar outcomes like we have all down the rest of Sippy Downs Drive that have grown over the years. We just need a little patience, time and of course, rain!
I have included some photos below.
Image 1: Sippy Downs Drive Stage 4 Completed Works
Image 2: Sippy Downs Drive Stage 4 Completed Works
Image 3: Sippy Downs Drive Before Photo
Image 4: Sippy Downs Drive After Photo
Image 5: Sippy Downs Drive Before Photo
Image 6: Sippy Downs Drive After Photo
Image 7: Sippy Downs Drive Before Photo
Image 8: Sippy Downs Drive After Photo